Krembo is an Israeli treat made of chocolate-coated marshmallow . But this is a special desert as it is a seasonal one – sold four months a year during the winter only.
1 package vanilla wafers
6 egg whites
1 C white sugar
2 bags dark chocolate (60% cacao or higher)
½ C coconut oil (sunflower oil will also work)
Beat the egg whites and slowly add the sugar. Beat for 10 minutes, creating thick foam. (Do not allow any yolk into this mixture, or it will not work!)
1. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler on the stove top.
2. Add the coconut oil and whisk together.
Once the egg-white mixture is dense enough:
1. Line a sheet pan with vanilla wafers.
2. Place a whopping spoonful of the egg-white mixture onto each cookie.
3. Place the sheet pan in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
4. Keep the chocolate warm, and before serving, remove the egg-white cookies from the freezer and ladle a spoonful of chocolate onto each cookie.
5. Serve chilled and enjoy your homemade “Krembos”!