Nothing like a good creamy soup to warm us up on a cold winter night! So here is Nir & Guy’s yummy in the tummy wintery soup for you all!
3 red onions,
Medium dice 2 yellow onions,
Medium dice 2 leeks,
3 T all-purpose flour
1 C white wine
2 C vegetable stock or water
2 C chestnuts
2 C heavy cream
Sea salt, to taste
½ t white pepper
1 bay leaf
½ t nutmeg
2 T fresh thyme
2 T Extra-virgin olive oil
1. Heat olive oil in medium-sized soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, stirring constantly.
2. Add flour and keep stirring constantly. Add wine, to deglaze the pan. Add vegetable stock, or water, and bring to a boil.
3. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup.
4. Add chestnuts, cream, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and nutmeg.
5. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Remove the bay leaf and add the thyme.
7. Serve warm.
And our reccomondation of choice of wine:
A buttery, oaked Chardonnay that went through a secondary fermentation, rendering it creamier and less fruity, would pair well with the heartiness of the chestnuts and the heavy cream, as well as with the varieties of onions. Nutmeg is well matched to oaked Chardonnays, as well. With the same wine incorporated in the dish, one can rely on an inspired pairing.